My Photo
Name:
Location: Vinton, Iowa, United States

Monday, November 28, 2005

"Small Beginnings"

I got to see a river
A mighty one I hear
It starts out just a trickle
That's just knee deep or near
I stood beside that "trickle"
And thought about the day
I've crossed that mighty river
Along her distant ways
I've crossed her in St. Louis
Dubuque and New Orleans
I've crossed her in the daylight
And night time too it seems
But never thought I'd stand there
To see that trickle run
To see her small beginnings
To know what's just begun
*
-about visit to Itasca State park in MN to see headwaters of Mississippi River-

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Patty,
Uncle David here. Aunt Betty is doing
about the same. About your poem, "Small Beginnings". Might I add my experience,
You saw where it started. I was born on the west side of her, Delaware Co. Iowa.
Yet the first time I ever crossed her I came from the East going West at Dubuque,Iowa. The land route would be more than 3000 miles, but my route was more than that, no not 25,000 miles, but
think U.S. Navy and a ship and the PanamaCanal. Hows that???
Uncle David, Aunt Betty & Teddy.

Monday, 28 November, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Already did, Thank you.

Monday, 28 November, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home